How to Shrink Hemorrhoid Skin Tag? Tips and Tricks
Shrinking Hemorrhoid Skin Tags: Medical Treatments, Home Remedies, and Prevention Tips
19th May, 2023
Hemorrhoid skin tags can cause discomfort and pain, making daily life challenging. Shrinking these skin tags can provide much-needed relief to those who suffer from them.
This blog will discuss tips and tricks to help shrink hemorrhoid skin tags.
We’ll examine natural treatments, dietary changes, and medical interventions to help you decide what to do in your situation.
Continue reading to learn how to reduce hemorrhoid skin tags and get your life back on track if you’re sick of living with the agony and anguish they cause.
Understanding Hemorrhoid Skin Tags
Hemorrhoid skin tags are small, fleshy growths that can develop around the anus after a person has experienced hemorrhoids. They can be itchy, uncomfortable, and unsightly.
Hemorrhoid skin tags form when the skin surrounding the anus is stretched or pulled during a hemorrhoid flare-up. Excess skin can remain and form a tag as the hemorrhoid begins to heal. These tags are not dangerous, but they can be bothersome.
Individuals may experience different hemorrhoid skin tag symptoms.
Some people may have no symptoms, while others may experience irritation, discomfort, or bleeding around the anus. Skin tags can also lead to hygienic issues since they can collect feces and raise the possibility of infection.
Several factors can cause hemorrhoid skin tags to form. Pregnancy is one of the most frequent reasons since the baby’s weight can strain on the anus and result in hemorrhoids.
Other factors include constipation, diarrhea, and straining during bowel movements. In some cases, skin tags may also develop due to anal surgery or injury.
It’s essential to understand what causes hemorrhoid skin tags so that you can take steps to prevent them from forming.
You can reduce your risk of developing hemorrhoids and skin tags by maintaining good bowel habits and avoiding constipation and straining.
Medical Treatments for Shrinking Hemorrhoid Skin Tags
There are various medical treatments available for shrinking hemorrhoid skin tags. One of these treatments is cryotherapy, which involves liquid nitrogen freezing skin tags.
This treatment is known to be effective and has minimal risks. Electrocautery is another option that involves using a unique tool to burn off the skin tags.
Although effective, it may cause more pain and discomfort than cryotherapy. Additionally, there is a greater chance of problems, including bleeding and infection.
Surgical removal is the third option, mainly for more extensive or severe skin tags. The procedure involves cutting off the skin tag using a scalpel or scissors.
Although this approach works, it is more intrusive and has a greater chance of consequences, including bleeding and infection. Remembering that medical treatments might come with risks and unfavorable side effects is significant.
Any Possible Negative Effects
- Injections: Possible side effects include mild pain or discomfort, bleeding, and infection at the injection site.
- Ligation: This procedure may cause discomfort, bleeding, and a feeling of fullness or heaviness in the rectum.
- Excision: Side effects of surgical removal of hemorrhoid skin tags may include pain, swelling, bleeding, infection, and difficulty passing stool.
- Laser therapy: Potential side effects of laser therapy for hemorrhoid skin tags include mild pain, discomfort, and bleeding.
- Cryotherapy: Side effect
It’s essential to remember that the potential side effects of medical treatments for hemorrhoid skin tags are generally mild and temporary.
In addition to seeking prompt medical care, following your doctor’s instructions for aftercare and attending follow-up appointments to ensure appropriate healing and monitoring for complications is crucial.
Doing so can reduce the risk of further issues and promote proper recovery.
Notably, hemorrhoid skin tags are a common condition affecting many individuals. According to studies, up to 10 million Americans experience symptoms related to hemorrhoids, including skin tags, each year.
Home Remedies for Shrinking Hemorrhoid Skin Tags
You may try several at-home solutions if you seek a more natural method to reduce your hemorrhoid skin tags.
Here are a few sensible choices:
1. Witch Hazel
- Apply a cotton ball soaked in witch hazel on the skin tag.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with warm water
- Witch hazel has anti-inflammatory properties that can help shrink the skin tag
2. Aloe Vera
- Apply a small amount of aloe vera gel directly to the skin tag
- Rub it gently for a few minutes
- Aloe vera has soothing properties that can help reduce swelling and inflammation.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Soak an apple cider vinegar-soaked cotton ball
- Apply it to the skin tag and secure it in place with a bandage
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with warm water
- Apple cider vinegar is acidic, which can help shrink the skin tag
4. Tea Tree Oil
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil, like coconut oil
- Apply it directly to the skin tag
- Tea tree oil’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities can help lessen inflammation and swelling.
- Make sure to dilute essential oils before applying them to your skin
- Test each remedy on a small area of skin before applying it to the skin tag
- Consult with your doctor if you have any underlying health conditions or concerns
These home remedies can effectively shrink hemorrhoid skin tags, but it’s important to remember that they may not work for everyone. Stop taking the cure and see your doctor if you develop any pain, discomfort, or irritation.
Why Do Anal Skin Tags Develop?
What causes skin tags to develop is unknown. Friction may be involved since they typically manifest in skin creases. We know that they are composed of collagen and blood vessels encased in an outer layer of skin.
There is a link between the human papillomavirus (HPV) and skin tags, according to studiesTrusted Sources. Insulin resistance may also influence skin tag formation, resulting in type 2 diabetes and prediabetes.
Those who have insulin resistance have poor blood glucose absorption.
Multiple skin tags were linked to insulin resistance, a high body mass index, and elevated triglycerides, according to a 2010 research.
Another typical adverse effect of pregnancy is skin tags. Weight gain and pregnancy hormones may be to blame for this.
Rarely, having many skin tags may indicate an endocrine disorder or hormonal imbalance. There could also be a genetic link. Multiple family members having them is not rare. Skin tags, however, are not communicable.
Changes in Lifestyle to Avoid Hemorrhoid Skin Tags
Hemorrhoid skin tags can be frustrating and uncomfortable. Fortunately, you may take action to avoid their creation in the first place.
Some lifestyle adjustments that might help lessen the likelihood of getting hemorrhoid skin tags are as follows:
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water and fluids can help soften stools and prevent constipation, which can contribute to developing hemorrhoids.
- Consume a Fiber-Rich Diet: Fiber-rich meals, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, can help keep stools soft and avoid constipation.
- Exercise Regularly: Physical activity can help promote regular bowel movements and prevent the development of hemorrhoids.
- Practice Good Bathroom Habits: Avoid straining during bowel movements, take your time in the bathroom, and clean the anal area gently with warm water.
- Avoid Sitting for Long Periods of Time: Long durations of sitting can impose pressure on the anal region, which may promote the growth of hemorrhoids.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Being overweight or obese can increase your risk of developing hemorrhoids.
- Don’t Delay Going to the Bathroom: Holding in bowel movements can lead to constipation, contributing to developing hemorrhoids.
These tips can reduce your risk of developing hemorrhoid skin tags and promote overall anal health.
How do you shrink hemorrhoid skin tags fast?
Consult a doctor for safe and effective methods to shrink hemorrhoid skin tags.
How do you get rid of hemorrhoid skin tags naturally?
Natural remedies may not be effective. Medical procedures are recommended for safe removal.
How can I shrink my skin tags at home?
Avoid using home remedies on hemorrhoid skin tags. Seek professional medical advice.
Do hemorrhoid skin tags ever go away?
Hemorrhoid skin tags may not go away on their own. Medical intervention might be necessary.
Are hemorrhoid skin tags bad?
Hemorrhoid skin tags are usually harmless but may cause discomfort or hygiene issues. Consult a doctor for evaluation.
The Bottom Line
Although medical treatments such as surgical excision and rubber band ligation can be effective, they may have potential side effects. Natural home treatments, such as witch hazel and aloe vera, can be a safer and more cost-effective alternative. Moreover, a healthy lifestyle, such as maintaining a balanced diet, staying hydrated, and exercising regularly, can help prevent hemorrhoid skin tags from developing.
It’s crucial to remember that while hemorrhoid skin tags can be inconvenient, they are not life-threatening. Following the suggestions outlined in this article, you can take measures to shrink existing hemorrhoid skin tags and reduce the likelihood of developing new ones. With patience and persistence, you can alleviate the discomfort and return to feeling like yourself again.